Sunday, October 2, 2011

Proverbs 19:21

"Many are the plans in a person’s heart,but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails"

                                PROVERBS 19:21

How stupid could I have been? I planned my tirp here to Uganda. Sure, I prayed about it….but ultimately it was my plan. But God is good. He has bigger and brighter plans for my time here. I had “many plans in my heart” but it is totally “the LORD’s purpose that will prevail. "


I am in Uganda for God, not for myself. I am in Uganda to be a light to people here. I am NOT in Uganda to be comfortable at all. 

Unfortunately things have come up to where I can no longer stay with Empower A Child. I do not have enough money or support to stay there.  I am not going to be able to finish out my time with them because of expenses. 

But ....  I am leaving in GOD'S TIMING and  for GOD'S PLAN.

 I took about 2 months to pray and seek God's council as well as the council from different spiritual leaders in my life. In that time, I reached out to a sister in Christ who is a missionary here in Uganda. I had met her a few years ago when she was a youth paster and had brought her youth to a TEAMeffort camp that I had be running in New Orleans. She encouraged me to come to a center where she teaches English. 

I had no idea what I would be getting myself into. But I took a leap of faith and went for it. I visited the Center of Hope last week. The second I was there, I began to feel a sense of peace. This center provides English Education to refugees. They teach students from Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, Erirtea, Congo, Rwanda, and more. These students are here in Uganda because of war or something else going on in their home country. They struggle here because they do not know Luganda or English. So this center is helping them learn the basics of English. This is also a Christian organization. Their goal is to help the students with English as well as other skills such as cooking, sewing, and other trades of that sort. The organization also reaches out to them in a relational way. The teachers build relationships with the students so that they build a  level of trust with them and in turn can tell them about the TRUTH of Jesus. They also have bible studies on Wednesday nights that they invite the students to.

I was able to sit in on two of the classes while I visited the center last week. I absolutely fell in LOVE with the classes and the students. The organization is in need of a new teacher as well........ SO I will begin teaching on Tuesday !!! I will have 20-25 students from all over the world and I will be teaching them in a Reading and Writing class. 

To work with this center, it is totally free and I have an opportunity to have free housing. So God was able to take an unfortunate situation and completely turn it around to be wonderful. He took my plans and showed me what HIS plans where for me while I was doing  HIS work here in Uganda. 

So as of Tuesday, I will no longer be reaching out to Children with Empower A Child, I will be a teacher...teaching English to refugees from all over the nation. 


I will be sure to keep you all updated on the way that God will work through me as a teacher for these next few months :-) 

Ethiopia


Sudan


Eritrea

Rwanda


Congo




Somalia

 





"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.
 "Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:13-16 (The Message)


No comments:

Post a Comment