Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This Little Light Of Mine, I'm Gonna Let It Shine

The Bible teaches me to be a light to the world. In the book of Matthew it say that we need to be lights in this dark world. 


“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.  No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."
 ( Matthew 5 :14-16 --- New Living Translation )


When I decided to come to Uganda, I knew that I wanted to to spread God's love to the people and the children here. I knew that God was calling me to let my light shine here in Uganda. I knew that He called me to "let my good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father". But I never knew how many people I would touch through  following God's call for my life. 

Just a few days ago, an old friend sent me a very humbling facebook message. He told me of how he had stumbled across my blog and that my blog had touched him and made him think more about how he had been living his life. --- This blog .... the blog that I did not think anyone was actually reading. 

I was so touched and encouraged by the words be expressed to me in his message. He told me that ....
"The stories that you share put my life into perspective and, honestly, they really shamed me for my selfishness and materialistic way of thinking. I feel like something just ripped me out of a thick haze where all I could see was negativity and bad things in the world. I literally see everything differently after reading through your blog." 

After High School I was very close with this friend, but over the years we have drifted apart from each other. When I think of this friend I find wonderful memories in my thoughts of him. I don't think I could really think of a single bad thought of him. He actually still holds a spot in my heart for the best date I have ever been taken on.  :-) 

I was randomly able to get a chance to meet with him before I left for Uganda. I was blessed with the chance to have lunch with him and another mutual friend. I honestly don't remember telling him about what I was going to be doing in Africa.... I only remember telling him that I was going. Looking back on it now.... I feel like I missed out on being a light to him before I left for my mission trip.

I am called to be the light to this world..... and that means home in America as well. But thankfully, through this blog...... friends and family back home are able to read it, see what I am doing here, and be touched by it. I am so thankful for this friend who messaged me. He was telling me that what I am doing here touched him, but honestly he is the one who touched me and encouraged me to continue to be a light to this dark world. I am thankful that while I am over here in Uganda, I am still able to touch friends and family who are so far from me simply through my ACTIONS. 

I honestly hope that through my good deeds, the world can be brightened. My prayer is that by my light shining bright others would be able to see God. I hope that they would be able to  follow the call that God is so desperately calling them to do. Hopefully my light will shine bright enough for the whole world to see Gods love through me. 


This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine



Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.



No comments:

Post a Comment