Friday, November 18, 2011

Change In Plans



So I may have thought that Charlotte's Wed was and easy read for my students, yet I was wrong. My students level of reading is just a bit lower than I had expected. They also can not grasp the fact that animals can talk, and if they can understand that, they don’t understand that there is a little girl who can hear then as well as understand the animals.

So I have gone onto different plan. I found a Magic Tree House book here in Uganda. I remember reading Magic Tree House books when I was learning how to read as a young kid. Magic Tree House is a series about a brother and a sister who go all around the world through their Magic Tree House to solve puzzles or riddles.

The book that I have chosen for my class is about Africa and the lions that they run into. So far, my students are enjoying it. The book has 10 chapters. Each class we read one chapter together as a class. We are now on chapter five. My goal from reading this book with them was to work on their reading comprehension. I told my class that there is no point to knowing how to read if you do not understand and remember what you read. Therefore, in my class, the students read the chapter once together as a class. Then I read it aloud for them. After that, I answer any questions they have. Most of their questions are about what different words mean. After I answer their questions, they answer questions that I make up about the chapter. So far we are successful. :-)

I have also picked up teaching a computer class. I teach basic computer skills to a small class of about 6 students twice a week. I teach them things such as how to save and open a Word Document, make a list with bullets, chancing fonts and sizes of their text, and copying and pasting texts. Before I too over teaching this class, they had just got past learning how to turn the computer on and basic typing skills. So it has been fun and quite an easy class to teach.

 I am not only a Reading and Writing English teacher, now I am also a computer teacher. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment