Monday, April 18, 2011

BUBBLES ! :-)

While I was preparing to come back to Uganda, I racked my brain for toys or activities that I could bring back for the children outside of my compound. I decided that bubbles would be a good idea. - AND OH MY WORD.....THEY WHERE :-)


There are about 7 young children outside of our gate ranging from 2 to 10 years of age. They often are the highlight of my day. As I had stated in my last post, they often like to scream my name in excitement when they see me. Although, when they pronounce my name it sounds more like A-MEEEE, or IME!  


When we went outside with the bubbles, the children greeted us with their usual hugs and shouts of our names. They soon realized that we had something new for them to play with. When they saw the bubbles they all got excited. Some of them said that they have never even played with bubbles before in their short life. 


The reaction that brought the most joy to me since I have been here in Uganda was from a 6 year old Ugandan boy named Kevin. When Kevin blew his first few bubbles into the air his eyes immediately got huge, he smiled wide and screamed " YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!" There was so much joy in his life at that very moment all because of some simple bubbles. I don't think I will ever see someone more excited about bubbles floating into the air ever again. It was such a joy to me to see Kevin so happy :-)


Tomorrow we have a personal ministry day. This means that anything that we wish to do that will either bring someone joy, lead someone to christ, or help and love someone....we can do it. So Sarah , a fellow volunteer and I have decided to take the children from outside our gate swimming. This morning we spent our time meeting with the parents of the children, introducing ourselves, and asking permission to take their children swimming. Every parent has agreed. Because the children are off of school for a Holiday, they all can come. 


So tomorrow, Sarah and myself ... and Hopefully a Ugandan will be taking about 7 to 10 children to a local hotel pool. They are already so excited about it. As we have been playing with them outside today they are all showing us how they swim by laying down in the drive way to show us. I can not wait to see their expressions tomorrow. Hopefully Kevin will have an even better reaction to swimming :-) 


Prayer Requests :
- Energy for Sarah and I as we take the children swimming
- Safety for the children
- Prayer for this weeks ministries : Nsambya - a baby's home (orhanage) , Katalamwe- a children's disability hospital, and the Remand Home- ajuvenile home


Nkumissinga - meaning: I miss you (Luganda)
LOVE & MISS YOU ALL :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment