Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Start of My Journey :-)

Hello Friends & Family :-)

So, the time has FINALLY come. Tomorrow evening at 6pm I will be flying away on a very long journey headed to Uganda Africa. Doing long term missions has been a dream of mine for quite some time now. I am so ecstatic that I will be able to live out that dream in Uganda for about the next year of my life. :-)

For those of you who do not completely know what I will be doing.... here is a short description :

During my time spent in Uganda, I will be staying in a city called Kampala. Yes I will have a bed and will be living in a house ( well, for the most part ). I will be working with an amazing organization called Empower A Child (EAC). With EAC I will be going to projects such as feeding programs in schools, outreach programs in primary and secondary schools, working in orphanages, helping in a disability children's hospital, outreach with street kids, as well as working and worshiping with young men and women in a juvenile home.
Along with all of that, EAC is working on a huge project this upcoming summer. While I am serving in Uganda, EAC will be working  in a village called Zirobwe. Zirobwe is located about one hour away from Kampala. In Zirobwe, we will be building a hospital/clinic , a church, and a school. This is a huge need for the people of Zirobwe and I can not wait to be a part of it :-)
Personally, I will be helping EAC by writing a monthly newsletter for the organization, helping with communications and networking, as well as bridging gaps between the cultural differences that may occur.

I am SO thankful for all of my family, friends, and organizations that are helping me live out this dream. Thank you for all of your prayers and support. I am encouraged each and every day knowing that I have the love, prayers, and support by so many of you. For that I am eternally grateful.

Please keep those prayers coming ! :-)
Please pray for :
- Safe Travels Tomorrow
- My Safety
- Unity for the team of Americans & Ugandans that I will be joining in Uganda
- The people and children of Uganda
- The village of Zirobwe and the relationships that I hope to build with the people of the community.
- The building projects that will soon be started in the village.
- My Dad, Mom, and awesome sister, Brandi (they are gonna miss me tons :-) haha )
- And last but not least - Please pray for me to grow in the strength and the knowledge of the Lord so that I may do exactly what He has called me to do in Uganda .


Thank you so much everyone !
I plan to update this blog as much as possible so be sure to check it out every once in a while to find out about my adventures :-)

Now, I must get back to packing because of course I am no where near ready. Although, my bags are much lighter now that I have taken out the 7 pound of granola bars, 4 pounds or candy, and 5 Bibles (obviously one is good enough - they all say the same thing ) :-) ..... Hopefully the scales are nice to me tomorrow!

I will miss each and every one of you greatly !
Skype me if you can :-) -amyleeperkins


Welaba (Way-la-ba) !!!!!
Luganda Translation : Good-bye :-)

1 comment:

  1. Amy Perkins, you are truly an inspiration to me. I wish you the best in everything you set out to do. You are an amazing person and I am glad to call you a friend. God bless!

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete