Friday, April 15, 2011

I MADE IT :-)

I am happy to say that I have made it to Uganda safely. It was a very long journey, but completely worth it :-) I could tell that I was covered in prayer the whole time I was traveling. Thank you so much for that !

My travels went way better than I every expected. I was blessed with not being charged anything for my baggage , nice people to chat with on the plane, and best of all a safe arrival. 

When the plane landed in the Entebbe Uganda airport, I felt right at home. It was crazy how it almost feels as though I have never left this wonderful country. I was greeted with a wonderfully warm welcome from one of my dear Ugandan friends as well :-) It was so nice to see a familiar face after two days of flying. I was not prepared for that heat though. I'm not gonna lie, the second that I walked out of the air port I began to sweat haha. It was 11pm at night and still 85 degrees....


AHHH SIDE NOTE- we just lost our electricity !  T.I.A ( This is AFRICA)


Well, now that I am sitting in Africa by candle light I can continue to write to you all :-)

Now where was I ??

Ah yes- it feels so right being here. I love this country and all that it has to offer. Today I spent the day getting to know the other volunteers who are here as well as being reunited with my great Ugandan friends.  It was so nice to spend time with each of them.

Today also held a lot of firsts for me. A few things have changed since I was here almost a year ago now. There is almost always running water in the house we stay at. I have not had to use the squatty once and was told that I may not have to :-) I am so happy to not be using the bathroom outside with the cock roaches and the lizards! haha. I took my first ice cold shower in a long time. Because of the running water I may not have to bucket shower for some time. I was also able to wash the dishes tonight by using  the running water out of the faucet ! --- THIS IS A HUGE DEAL. Let me explain :-) - Last summer my dear friends Molly, Emily, and Caron, and I ( who have been named "The Crazy Crew"  by the Ugandans ) volunteered to do the dishes every night during our time in Uganda. And every night we had to go outside to the water tank, get a jerry can and fill it with water, then bring it inside to fill two water bins and use only that water to do ALL of the dishes. Now, all we have to do is turn the faucet and clean the dishes. I was amazed by this small advancement today.

I was also able to spend some time outside playing with the children in our neighborhood. They have relearned my name and now all I hear is them shouting A-MEE A-MEE !!! They are so precious. Its a huge confidence booster when without fail, any time you leave your home you are greeted with children shouting your name and giving you huge hugs. :-) I can not wait to continue to play with them during my stay here.

And to top my day off, I had my first ride on a boda boda :-) Last summer I was never able to take a boda boda. A boda boda is a motor bike that is used as a taxi. It is a scary thing to take because everyone in Africa drives crazily, and so you are on this boda boda weaving in and out of traffic. It was quite an experience!


Well, that was a lot for one day.
Only more to come once we start with more ministry next week :-)

Please keep the prayers coming :-)

Thanks Friends ! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment